Monday, July 14, 2008

Army Strengff

"Fleet Commander Bickings' Starlog entry numero two, Stardate: 14 July 2008."
Army Strong Bixx is back… back again… so tell ya’ friends.

One giant Hooo-rahh for pictures. I’ve gotten plenty of the stink eye from drill sergeants as I snapped away photos when I should have been an attentive student. So please enjoy.

The valet has just dropped off my wheels. “Regulators, mount up…”
My posse rolls around the back-country forests of South Karo-Lack-eee five Hummers deep.
Did you know that military Humvees don’t require keys? (But… my potential car-jacker-readers, you need to beware: these babies require pit stops frequently as Humvees roll four miles per gallon.)

Here we are at the M16 gun range just before I shoot dozens of feet under, above, and to the left and right of my pop-up target. Lets hope that if I'm required to shoot an Afghan bad guy, he’s as wide and tall as a school bus.

Not a picture of me, because when I sprinted through the same pistol obstacle course the camera showed nuttin’ but my speed blur. The pistol target was much closer which meant that even with my shaky grip I was able to nail it…
My buddy didn’t take his pistol target threat too seriously.
I did, and 'kilt that sucka dead. I kicked the body target after it was down too, just for good measure.
Our drill sergeants (graciously) gave us the Sabbath off. My cousin Hal drove down from North Carolina to spend the afternoon with me. Us Bickings’ blood went to the base golf course to drive range balls.

…And Little Hal nearly got us laughed right off the course. Check out his golf spikes (the transplant Karo-Lack-eee wanted to remove his shirt and play Lynyrd Skynyrd from his cassette player too, but I was able to stop him…)
We ate at brunch in the Officer’s Club where we were surrounded by oldies (like WWI veterans) but it didn’t stop either of us fatties from two plates of breakfast, three plates of lunch, and one tray of dessert. (We sat in a dark corner so nobody would notice our mound of finished plates.)

I really had fun with my cousin and appreciate the sacrifice he made to drive down and spend the afternoon with me. Besides stay bored, I don’t know what I would have done otherwise. Thank you Hal.

Boy-a-cha-sha. Watch Yo-Self… not even I can miss at this range…
Please take care of Julie. She’s the best thing I have and needs your support and prayers. Thank you.
Love, Christian

3 comments:

Aunt Sharon & Uncle Joey said...

Christian, you are so entertaining! We love reading your comments and seeing the pictures. I will get this printed for MiMi & JoJo so they can enjoy it, too! You are in our prayers! Lova ya, Aunt Sharon & Uncle Joey

Anonymous said...

Christian:
You are so darn funny..... It is so sweet of you to always tell everyone to take care of Julie... She is looking forward to her visit with you... I sent for a Columbia visitors guide for you guys and I think God did some blessing of Columbia....Love the pictures... We love you.

Jaime MacDonald said...

Hi Christian!
John and I have been thinking about you and about Julie. You look like a bad a-s (am I allowed to say that on the Internet?) in all of your gear. I am not sure when you are officially leaving, but you are continually in my prayers. Stay upbeat!